Tuesday 29 January 2013

COMPLIANCE

I just finished watching this film, about which I had heard mixed things. Some people had praised it for being tense and unflinching and I had heard negative comments that it was exploitative.

Honestly, about an hour after sitting through it, I'm still scratching my head. While I enjoyed every minute of it, I'm still a bit shaken.

It's definitely a horror movie, but it's not a horror film that goes for jump scares or gore... It just makes you think that this could (and did) happen.
It made me think about what we've become used to as being normal in society and how we conform to it, without really questioning it. The film haunts me. Therein lies it's brilliance.

A fast food restaurant manager gets a phone call from a "police officer," claiming to have a victim of theft with him and that the thief is a staff member of the restaurant.
The manager is told to hold the worker, search her belongings, strip searcher and on it goes, growing more and more twisted all the time.

What I liked about the film, was that the stakes are constantly raised and that you can't see where this is going to end up.
What frustrated me about the film is that very few people stand up for the victim of the film and that she takes orders so easily. I know this is the point, i just feel a bit dirty for watching it play out.

I don't know if I'll watch this movie again, but it certainly left an impression.

There's more to say about this film, but I'm still ticking it over, so for now:

FOUR FUCKS

No comments:

Post a Comment